Apparently George Bush is going to unveil his plan for
I’m pretty nervous about it.
I have just minimal knowledge of how other cultures work, and the culture of the
1. Don’t ever make a martyr out of someone. Every culture has its martyrs, who are heroes. The worst thing you can do if you are trying to stamp out a resistance movement is create martyrs for it. That means, I would think, that one would wait with Saddam’s execution until the situation has stabilized in
2. A war should always be for just causes and bring justice (at least from our Western perspective). By not making Saddam stand trial for all the crimes of which he was charged you create a deep sense of injustice in many victims. I believe you could heal things in
3. Avoid looking like an occupying army. The
4. The hardest war to fight and win is a guerrilla war. We should have learned that in
5. You cannot impose, from outside, a political system or a religion on a people. Democracy, for example. You have to win hearts and change the culture from inside. The barrel of a gun will never do it.
The signals we are getting are not at all encouraging to me.
But I still hope.